Monday, May 11, 2009

Pinnacles: Saturday


Saturday: Carol and I ditched the guys and hiked through the caves. The caves were awesome! The caves go up the mountain so a lot of the trail is stairs cut into the rock. There were lots of points where we could look over the side and see waterfalls. It got really dark so we were glad we brought our flashlights. Here are pictures of Carol and me under some big rocks at the start of the caves.


We met Don, Jimmy, and Dad at the reservoir and continued up the high peakes trail. So many switchbacks! Fortunately Carol and I hike at about the same pace. We had no problems stopping for any possible reason... to take a picture, drink some water, practice our deep breathing, enjoy a tiny patch of shade, or look at the view for the 14th time.

We were still some of the the first hikers of the day to reach the top of the trail though and we tried to be encouraging to all the groups we passed when we were on our way down. We could have gone up higher but we chose not to. I'm really glad we didn't because my boot started to fall apart as soon as we started down.

So many wildflowers were in bloom - I can't remember all of them, but we saw tons of monkey flower.


This was the view from the top of the trail. The next picture is one I took while Carol and I were hiking up the trail. The last picture is my massive Boot Fail. Maybe it's time to replace the hiking boots that I've had for 15 years!



No comments: