Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Don's Day at California Academy of Sciences Grand Opening

One of the things I wanted to do in retirement was be a volunteer guide or docent at the California Academy of Sciences (CAS) in Golden Gate Park in SF. The CAS has been undergoing a huge renovation and reopened with great fanfare on Saturday, September 27. I was there to help and the following is a little essay of my experience. Remember that Carol and I live in San Jose which is about 50 miles south of the park.

Yesterday was hectic and enjoyable at the same time. I started the day by catching the train to SF at 9:00 AM. It was closing the door as I ran up and they let me in; whew. A little over 1.5 hours later the train arrived at its final downtown SF destination (right on schedule) where I got off, crossed the street, and started trying to figure out how to buy a ticket on the trolley to Golden Gate Park. $1.50 a ticket with no other options such as a day pass, etc. While I was staring at the machine a voiced asked "Mr. Starks, how do you work this thing?" I can't escape former students. This one I barely remembered and we were both in a hurry so not much time for a visit. Bought the ticket, got on board, and headed for the park. The trolley moved along well, if not fast, for the first 3/4 of the trip but, once it got within a mile of the park, it came to, basically, a dead stop. Trolleys use city streets once they are out of the downtown area and the streets near the park were jammed with traffic. All these people looking for places to park so they could visit the museum. That's why things were so crazy.

Finally got off the trolley at the right stop and walked the few blocks to the staff entrance of the museum. Walked into the volunteers' office and signed in at 12:00, three hours since I first got on the train. I left with (I thought) plenty of time to spare and just barely made my shift which started at 12:00. Talked to the coordinator and she said to check my area to see if they need a break (tide pool) and, if not, wander around and just get a feel for the place. The folks at the pool didn't need a break, so I wandered. What a zoo! First day was free to the public but you had to get tickets anyway. I think the whole city took some time to show up. It was that crazy. They let people in by spurts so it could have been worse. I didn't visit the planetarium since the lines were so long and the Amazon rainforest was the same. I was wearing an orange lab coat (as were all the volunteers) so people could stop and ask questions. Most questions were of the "Where are the bathrooms?" nature. Sounds easy but it wasn't. I was just as much a stranger to the place as these visitors so as I wandered I had to pay attention to where things were to help out. Toughest question? "Where can I go to smoke?" Nowhere in the park is the correct answer. 

Went back to the tide pool area and asked again. One was ready to quit so I took over their spot. The tide pool area is one of those touchy feely kind of areas and the guides are mostly there to care for the sea stars and such and answer what questions they can. As I came into the area on the other side of the troughs I saw all these inquisitive faces, I must admit I panicked a bit. After a few questions I was fine and finally feeling in my element. It immediately became fun and the next two hours flew by. I looked at my watch and my shift was over. Went upstairs, signed out, and got a late lunch (a fine spread given by the Academy), and left. Now the adventure begins.

As I strode back to the trolley stop, I noticed the crowds were a little smaller but still pretty big. This was about 3:30. Arrived at the stop and looked for a ticket machine which was nowhere to be found. What the hell am I supposed to do? I asked one couple who spoke no English. Next person said you buy them from the conductor on the lead car which has a machine which accepts quarters only ($1.50 worth). I had three. Crap! Found a store which was kind enough to exchange a dollar for three quarters (just joking). Went back to the stop as the trolley arrived. It was like a scene out of New Delhi. About 50 people getting into the front car and hardly anyone getting into the rear car. What's up with that? They were all like me, they needed to buy a ticket. I'm starting to freak. Will I ever get home? What's it like to sleep on the streets? As I got on (amazingly), the conductor (wild-eyed at this time) poked her head out and said "You last five, git back to the second car! No room here! My machine is broke! Move now!" Yes'm. Next car had plenty of seating. Screwy way of doing things. I sat right behind an old bum. Yes, we made quite a pair. I couldn't figure who smelled worse, me or him. Things got better when he left so by statistical analysis it obviously wasn't me. One thing I'll remember is that the seat next to him remained free. Hmm. A young single dad with a crying kid (wouldn't you know) got on the crowded car and the bum was the only person to offer his seat. Special place in heaven awaits him. 

After much waiting we arrived at the train stop, I got off, got on the next train to San Jose, stopped shaking, and got home at about 7:00. Carol had a nice steak with corn salsa with black beans and a good cab waiting for me. We ate, talked about future trips, and I crashed.

Quite a day. I will remember that ol' bum; also the two two ladies who were looking for the tide pool area as I was leaving my shift and I properly guided in the right direction. Why? Because they stated the whole thing was worth the six hour wait. I wouldn't wait for a meeting with Eric Clapton for that amount of time.

The Academy is hoping to get two shifts a month from its volunteers. If they're all like this one, I'll be dead from exhaustion by the end of the second. I expect things will calm a bit by the winter and also when they start charging the 24 dollars entrance fee. Administrators say they don't expect things to calm down for about six months to a year. I don't know when I'll be doing my next shift so I'll contact the "boss" and see what happenin'. Oh, during all this I've bee full time teaching (as a long-term sub) for a teacher friend of mine. So, yes, I'm pooped and it's now time to take Wylie for a walk. Welcome to retirement.

2 comments:

Burns said...

Wow Don what a scene! I'm sure you'll get the commuting down before long. (Maybe take your bike along on the train? No, there are probably too many hills.) Anyway, keep us posted. And can anybody identify the mysterious picture of Brian with the fish?

Woody

The Kidde Woodward Family said...

We suggest you learn to apparate a la Harry Potter...