Last weekend I climbed Wheeler Peak, which is the highest point in New Mexico. The trail starts at about 9,200 feet and follows a creek up a gully with quite a bit of elevation gain, so the first few pictures here were thinly veiled excuses to stop and catch my breath.
This is Thiru, one of my co-workers, who suggested we do this hike. He generally outpaced me. The aspens behind him were in full fall color.
I'm afraid I was completely unable to identify this bird; it was larger than a pigeon by several inches. The morning light didn't capture the color very well, but it was mostly gray but for that white head. Two of them politely stood still for me to take pictures.
Once we got up high enough, there was snow in shaded areas. Not a lot, because a little higher up and we were out of the treeline.
About 5 miles leading up to the summit followed the ridgeline, mostly above the trees. The crest in this shot is not Wheeler Peak, but it was the highest thing we could see for most of the morning.
About a quarter mile from Wheeler Proper was Mount Walter, which was little more than this sign in a pile of rocks. We reached the summit shortly after that.If that plaque's not legible, the salient point is: 13,161 feet.
We took an alternate route back down, which entailed dropping about 1500 feet through very steep loose rock like this. Not very pleasant - if I do this hike again, I won't go this way.
This is Lake Williams, 2000 feet below the peak. A popular destination for more casual hikers, as it's a mild 3.5 miles from the ski area.
The last few miles are on a low-intensity downhill ski trail, which is punctuated by cabins such as this. The Taos ski area is a large complex of resorts - there's apparently a helipad somewhere on the outskirts.Overall a great hike - challenging, but I'd do it again.






No comments:
Post a Comment