Last weekend I went to Monterey for a "Model Legume Congress," a confab hosted by my former boss at UC Davis. (model legumes, for the curious, include the species Medicago truncatula, Lotus japonicus, and Glycine max, which is soybean). I had some time on Sunday to walk from Asilomar State Beach to Bird Rock, which is a ways down the 17-Mile Drive.
Some cormorants hanging out on some rocks.
Bird Rock proper, featuring (left to right) sea lions, pelicans, and cormorants.
Pelicans at Bird Rock, as seen through one of the viewing scopes.
This is some weird bone-white algae or something. I've never seen it before - I'm guessing it's bleached out by the sun, but nothing else is, so who knows.
China Rock.
Pacific Grove has the strange effect of making almost anything photogenic, up to and including this gaggle of Heermann's Gulls.
One of the ubiquitous Pacific Grove deer. They seem to have no concept of property boundaries, wandering off the state park land whenever it suits them.
No comments:
Post a Comment